1. Getting to grips with Sympa
- How do roles differ between EZMLM and Sympa?
- These are the few users in IT Support who have admininistrative rights over all lists, previously known as the superusers.
- Privileged owner
- This was previously the overall owner of a list with full administrative rights to the list. Sympa differs from EZMLM in that it is possible to have several privileged owners for a list.
- Normal owner
- This was the manager role in EZMLM. The permissions for normal owners are set by either the owner or a listmaster.
- This role remains the same.
- How do I log into Sympa?
- You use your single sign-on details to log into Sympa. The login link is https://web.maillist.ox.ac.uk
Once you have accessed Sympa, you then need to click on the
Loginbutton in the top right hand corner to proceed with the login. If you only have one email address this action will immediately log you in to the web interface.
If you have more than one email address, then in the central portion of the screen you will need to select the one you wish to use and then click the
Select this email addressbutton. This is because Sympa uses email addresses rather than your username to define ownership and roles. As a result you may find that you are not able to see all of your lists and you'll need to log out and log back in with a different address. To do this, click the
Logout to use a new addressbutton at the top right of the screen. Then click the
Loginbutton again and you should again be presented with a drop down menu with your address options. As the owner of more than one address you can select a default address, which you'll be logged into automatically, by ticking the box
Automatically use this address in future?.
Once logged in, the level of access associated with the address you have logged in as will determine the options you have within Sympa. So the view you would see as a privileged owner is different to the view you would see as a normal owner, or as a subscriber only. If you are subscribed to lists with a different address then you can switch between addresses as per the example above. There is a drop down menu which you can click on to change to another address. Once you have chosen the address you want to use, click on
Logout to a new address(top right hand corner) and then choose the relevant address.
- How do I configure a list
- There are several preset list configurations available which you choose from. For a list of these and what each one means see:
To change the configuration of a list, you need to be logged in as a privileged owner, and choose
List config, then
- How do I add normal owners or moderators to a list?
- You need to be a privileged owner. You make these changes via the
List configtab, then
- How do I request a new list/change the ownership of a list/request deletion of a list?
- These topics are all covered at http://www.oucs.ox.ac.uk/email/maillists/new/.
- How do I view my lists and subscriptions?
Homefrom the tabs at the top of the Sympa screen. The options you see here will vary according to whether you own a list as a privileged or normal owner, are a moderator, or are a list subscriber. See figure below.
Click on the relevant list, and you will then see options such as info/admin/moderate relevant to that list. Note that if some of these are greyed out, they are not available. This may be due to the way the list is configured, or because those options aren’t available to you.
- How do I make changes to the texts sent by the list
- From home, click on
Adminnext to the list you want to make changes to. Then select the
Customizingtab. There is then an
Editbutton next to each text which you are able to change.
- How to I manage subscribers?
- From home, click on
Adminnext to the list which you want to make changes to, then choose the
Manage subscriberstab. You will see a screen like this:
You add subscribers by email address. You can add a single address, or click the
Add multiple addressesbutton. When adding multiple address, add one address per line with no commas or other punctuation marks.
To remove subscribers, you can use the individual check box next to the address which you want to remove. Or you can use the toggle selection to select them all. Then click on
Delete selected email addresses.
- How do I moderate a list?
- An email will be sent to the moderators, asking them to approve or reject the message, as with EZMLM. Messages can also be approve or reject from within Sympa. Choose the relevant list, then select the
Moderatebutton, which is at the bottom left of the screen where you select various admin functions.
- How do I view the archives for a list?
- From home, select the list which you want to see the archives for. If these are available, click on the
Archivebutton in the bottom left box.