With effect from version 8.1 onwards, the IBM TSM (Tivoli Storage Manager) backup / archive product has been rebranded as IBM Spectrum Protect. This is a rebranding exercise by IBM and, unless indicated specifically, there is no difference in the operation of the two brands. Versions 6 and 7 of the (old) TSM client are still available for installation on older operating systems and you will see references to both IBM Spectrum Protect and TSM throughout these pages.
1. Downloading the HFS backup client software
Now that you have successfully registered your requirement to use the HFS backup service you need to download and install the appropriate software.
Not yet registered? Then please complete the registration process before downloading and installing the software.
System administrator? Our software packages are primarily designed for interactive installation. However if you are a system administrator needing to install and configure the client software on multiple systems our packages for Mac and Linux do also have some features to help you.
1.1. About the backup client software
The backup client software is available under the following conditions:
- It is sourced solely via the HFS web pages.
- It is installed on the appropriate client platform.
- It is not installed on any beta or Release Candidate (RC) Operating System.
- A fresh installation requires a direct or VPN connection to the University network.
- It is upgraded when the HFS service requires it to be.
- It is uninstalled from the client system when the client no longer has use of the HFS service.
Click the relevant platform link below to go to pages to download, install and configure the backup client software.
Please note that backing up the APFS file system with macOS IBM Spectrum Protect client is not supported.
1.2. Supported operating systems
|Operating System||OS Version||IBM Spectrum Protect Client Version||TSM Client Version||Download|
|Windows||8.1, 10, 2012, 2012 R2, 2016 (all 64-bit only)||220.127.116.11||Further Information|
|7, 8, 2008, 2008 R2, and 32-bit versions of 8.1, 10||18.104.22.168||Further Information|
|macOS / OS X||
10.8 (Mountain Lion), 10.9 (Mavericks), 10.10 (Yosemite)
|10.11 (El Capitan), 10.12 (Sierra)||22.214.171.124||Further Information|
|Linux||64-bit distributions with Java 7 or higher||126.96.36.199||Further Information|
|64-bit distributions with Java 6||188.8.131.52||Further Information|
|Solaris||Solaris 10 and 11 (SPARC)||184.108.40.206||Further Information|
|Solaris 10 and 11 (x86_64)||220.127.116.11||Further Information|
IT Services only provide new backup account registrations for those platforms listed above. If you need to recover data backed up a system not on this list please see our page on unsupported clients.
2. Downloading the backup client software - Frequently Asked Questions
Downloading the backup client FAQ (See all FAQs)
- I could not download the installation files - why is that?
- Why is my operating system not on your list?
- Why is the HFS service not using the latest version of the backup client software ?
- What would happen if I installed the wrong backup client on my machine?