These FAQs are accompanied by a diagram and description of the student registration process for new award programmes.
- What is the process for a new student to receive their University Card, Single Sign-On username (SSO) and institutional email address and to register?
- See the process flow diagram and accompanying description of the process steps. For details of how to carry out each eVision step, see the appropriate user manuals.
- Who sends the University Card form to the applicant?
Please see the University Card Service webpages for further information on who should send the University Card form.
- Where do I obtain a University Card form?
The University Card form for students is available from the Student contracts and forms web page. Please ensure you use the correct form for the academic year of entry for the student. Note that this web page is for only for staff involved in administering this process. Prospective students should be sent the University Card form by their college or University Admitting Body (UAB) as appropriate.
- The applicant already holds a current University Card. Do they still need to return a University Card form?
Yes. All applicants starting a new Award Programme need to submit a University Card form, regardless of whether they hold a current University Card. The return of the completed form to the University Card Office is one of the pre-requisites for creating the on-course student record in eVision / SITS:Vision from the application record. See the process flow diagram.
- I have received an email stating the Card Office can't process a student contract. What do I need to do?
This is a system generated notification email from email@example.com with the header "Card Office cannot process Student Contract". This usually occurs when the application record on eVision is not in the correct state to be processed. The email will provide you with the applicant details and a specific reason as to why the contract can't be processed. Please check the application record in eVision under the respective Graduate Admissions or Undergraduate Admissions links to identify the error and action accordingly. If you are unable to fix the issue or need further advice please contact either Graduate Admissions or Undergraduate Admissions Offices as appropriate. Please note there is no specific requirement to inform the University Card Office as the record should process automatically once it has been corrected unless you feel this is necessary.
- Why have our undergraduate students not received a University Card?
Although this could be a number of issues if this is particularly affecting undergraduate students this may indicate that the applications have not been marked as ready for "Release to Card Office" by the college in eVision. Please see the diagram, step 6. Once this step has been completed on course student records should be generated and sent to the Card Office. For guidance on how to check/update this step please see the Undergraduate Admissions Manual (colleges) located on the eVision training page. The "Release to Card Office" section details how to confirm an applicant. Please contact the Student Systems Support Centre if you encounter any difficulties with this.
- The student is also a member of staff. Can they have two cards?
No. Each individual can only have one current University Card at once. The individual needs to choose which one is the most appropriate and inform the Card Office.
- Several of our students are beginning their course earlier than the official start of term. How can we ensure they received their University Card and SSOs in time?
For courses that start earlier (e.g. PGCE students) the University Card Office are aware and can look at processing these applications as soon as possible. However to assist please ensure that you send any Card Forms for early starters as soon as possible after they have been confirmed.
Single Sign On (SSO) and Email
- How does a student get access to their institutional email account and email address(es)?
A university card must have been produced in order for a student to have a institutional email account and address setup. An activation email is sent by IT Service to the student providing details of how to access their account and change their password. Please see the diagram for further information.
- Why has the student not received a Single Sign-On (SSO) activation email?
The SSO activation email is sent from IT Services to the main email address currently recorded against the application record. In order for an activation email to be sent the student must have returned their university card form and had a university card produced. Please see the diagram as this explains this element of the process.
If the student has not received an activation email it could be for one of the following reasons:
- the university card has not been produced
- the activation email may have gone into a junk folder
- the email address recorded is no longer being used or has expired
You can check the eVision Fresher's dataview to see if the university card has been produced and what the currently recorded (Alternative) email address is. Advise the student to check their email address and junk folders in case they have missed the activation email. If the email address recorded is incorrect advise the student to correct either through UCAS (undergraduates) or Applicant Self Service (postgraduates).
If the email address is correct and still hasn't been received within three working days of the university card being produced please contact IT Services.
Registration - Student Self Service
- When will students be asked to register online and how do they do it?
An email will be sent to all new students at the start of the registration period (e.g. early September for most students) from the Student Information Office that will provide details of how to register, where to find notes of guidance and dates by which students need to register. If students have any queries about this they can contact Student Information or visit the Oxford Students website.
- Why can't the student access Student Self Service?
Provided that the student has activated their Single Sign-On (SSO) username and this has populated within the student record system correctly then they should be able to access Student Self Service. If they have done so and are still unable to log into Student Self Service, they should contact Student Information. For further information on pre-requisites please see the process flow diagram.
- Are there any guidance notes on using Student Self Service?
- Students have completed online registration but they are not able to print an enrolment certificate for council tax purposes or amend any of their details. Why is this?
Registration for new students is a two stage process requiring the student to complete registration online via Student Self Service and for the college to confirm attendance by enrolling the student. Once the student has completed registration the "My Student Record" tab in Student Self Service will disappear and they will be unable to print an enrolment certificate until the college has completed enrolment via eVision. Enrolment by the college should take place when the student actually arrives at Oxford and collects their university card. Enrolment can be undertaken in eVision by any college officer with appropriate access by navigating to Student Record-Enrol students.
For further information on Student Self Service and eVision registration please see the eVision training documentation in particular Enrol Students QRG and Student Self Service Manual.
Registration - eVision
- How do I enrol a student?
Registration for new students is a two stage process requiring the student to complete registration online via Student Self Service and for the college to confirm attendance by enrolling the student. Enrolment by the college should take place when the student actually arrives at Oxford and collects their university card. Enrolment can be undertaken in eVision by any college officer with appropriate access by navigating to Student Record-Enrol students.
For further information on eVision enrolment please see the eVision training documentation in particular Enrol Students QRG.
- Why does a student not appear in the eVision enrolment functionality?
It is likely that the student does not have an on-course student record. Please see the diagram for details of the full process and to ensure the pre-requisite process steps have been completed. If the student still does not appear please contact the Student Systems Support Centre.
- Where can I find a list of freshers or search for individual freshers?
The Freshers dataview returns students and applicants who are due to start or have started in a selected academic year. This includes an applicant who has a conditional or unconditional offer with the university. The results may include returners e.g. those returning to a second year of study. The intention of the report is for the user to better understand how many students they should expect to see in their College/Division/Department. For further information on gaining access to this report please see the access procedure for eVision on the Access to eVision and SITS:Vision webpage.
- Where can I find a list of freshers who need to be matriculated?
The Matriculation dataview returns enrolled students and applicants (if selected) who need to matriculate. i.e. they are on a matriculated course, and have not matriculated or incorporated. This is very much an operational report and can be used to help arrange matriculation ceremony lists. For further information on gaining access to this report please see the access procedure for eVision on the Access to eVision and SITS:Vision webpage.
- Student names are not appearing in the correct format. Who should I contact?
This may be related to a known error within eVision where the system struggles to handle certain formats of name. Please contact Student Systems Support Centre who can investigate. Please note that this is only if the name is correct but displays incorrectly. Name changes, misspellings or omissions should be raised with either the Academic Records Office (undergraduate/visiting students) or the appropriate Graduate Studies Assistant (taught/research).
- Why am I unable to find an undergraduate applicant in eVision Undergraduate Admissions that I know is applying for my Permanent Private Hall (PPH)?
There is a known issue within UCAS where there is a limited number of campus codes that can be transmitted via UCAS. Unfortunately this means a number of PPHs need to appear with the same campus code throughout the process so their applications can be transmitted to UCAS and therefore appear generically as 'PPH'. The affected PPHs are St Benets, St Stephens, Blackfriars and Wycliffe. If one of your applicants is missing please contact the Undergraduate Admissions Office.
- I believe I may have identified a student record that has been duplicated. What should I do?
On very rare occasions a student record may have been duplicated with an older student record. If you think you may have spotted such a record please contact the Student Systems Support Centre who can investigate the issue.
Contacts and Links
- Academic Record Office: firstname.lastname@example.org
- IT Services Service Desk: email@example.com
- Students Information: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Student Systems Support: email@example.com
- University Card Office: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Access to eVision and SITS:Vision: www.admin.ox.ac.uk/studentsystems/access/access/evisionaccess/#d.en.192270
- eVision: https://evision.ox.ac.uk/
- eVision Training Documentation: www1.admin.ox.ac.uk/studentsystems/support/guides/evision
- Student Contracts and Forms: www.admin.ox.ac.uk/aad/studentregistry/studentrecords/forms/
- Oxford Students website: www.ox.ac.uk/students?wssl=1
- Student Systems website - www1.admin.ox.ac.uk/studentsystems/support/guides/evision/
- University Card Services - www1.admin.ox.ac.uk/estates/ourservices/fm/card/apply/