Once you have configured Outlook 2007 to access Nexus, you will be able to use it to receive and send email. For more information about how to use the email function in Outlook 2007, please refer to the built-in help and the documentation available on the Microsoft Outlook website. OUCS is running various introductory courses on Oxford Nexus. Please see the courses directory for times, dates and full course content information.
You can change some settings directly in Outlook 2007, such as the way messages are displayed, and you can create an email signature to include in your messages. You can also use Outlook to automatically reply to messages, for example to send an Out of Office message. However, as the automated replies are only sent if you leave your computer turned on and Outlook running, a more convenient alternative may be to use Outlook Web Access (OWA) for vacation messages (see the OWA documentation).
Use the Nexus account settings page https://register.it.ox.ac.uk/self/nexus to:
- Set spam filter level - choose between Off, Low, Medium or High. Messages which are tagged as spam are put in the 'Spam' folder, and are automatically deleted after 90 days.
- Set preferred email address (for users with more than one Oxford address)
- Set email forwarding address - get your Oxford email delivered to another account
- Show email usage and quota - see the size of each folder in your Nexus mailbox
You can make your mailboxes visible to others by sharing (allowing others to access a particular folder or feature). .
Like the other Nexus services, you can also delegate access to your email account. That will allow others to receive and send email from your account. This should be used very restrictively and primarily for non-personal accounts such as 'firstname.lastname@example.org' where you may want to allow more than one person to monitor the account or where someone, for example, provides holiday cover. More information about delegating access is available in the delegating page
For information about other Nexus features and how to use them with Outlook 2007, please follow the links to the relevant section:
- Nexus Contacts and Address Books
- Nexus Calendar
- Nexus Tasks
- Delegating access to email, calendar and other Nexus features
- Printing more than one calendar at a time
If you have any problems using Nexus with Outlook 2007, in the first instance you should contact your local (College or Department) IT staff. If they cannot help then please contact the IT Services Helpcentre for further assistance.