- Overview of Instant Messaging
- Sending an Instant Message
- Notifications of Instant Messages
- Receiving and replying to an instant message
Overview of Instant Messaging
Instant Messaging (IM) is a text based chat function that allows you to communicate with other Chorus users.
To successfully exchange IMs, both parties need to be logged on to the Chorus web portal. IMs are transient – if the other party is not logged on to receive the message, it will not be saved and they will not receive it.
Because of this, if you want to use instant messaging as a means of communicating with other Chorus users, it is helpful to keep your presence status updated to show when you are logged into the web portal (see Presence guidelines).
Sending an Instant Message
To send an Instant Message to a contact:
1. Hover over the contact entry and click the button when it appears.
2. Select the ‘Chat’ option to start sending Instant Messages.
Notifications of Instant Messages
You can choose for a sound to play when you receive an instant message.
1. Click on Settings.
2. Choose Notifications.
3. Check the Play sound on incoming instant message check box.
4. Click Save.
Receiving and replying to an instant message
When you receive an instant message, a chat window will appear at the bottom of the Chorus web portal.
Type your response in the text box at the bottom and press Enter to send.