- Overview of Presence
- Locating your presence status
- Setting your presence status
- Presence Automation
- Using your presence to determine how which preferred device receives the call
- Responding to Presence Status Requests
- Allowing everyone / no one to see your presence status
- Reviewing who can see / is blocked from seeing your presence status
Overview of Presence
Presence is optional functionality and is a way of letting other Chorus users know if you are available to take calls and chat messages. By default, you can choose from a number of presence options (Available, Away, Do Not Disturb, Be Right Back, Busy, In Meeting), and these appear against your listing in the user’s contact list in the web portal.
It is particularly useful for communicating if you are available for chat messages, as any chat messages sent whilst you are not logged into Chorus will not be received.
By default, the presence setting is a communication tool only – it does not affect a user’s ability to call you or your ability to take the call. However, you can choose to set the presence to determine how you receive a call: for example, you could choose to send all calls directly to voicemail when you set your presence to ‘Do Not Disturb’.
You can also set presence to automatically show if you are logged into Chorus. This is a useful setting for users who want to indicate their availability for chat messages.
You are also able to choose who is able to see your presence – e.g. everyone except those you explicitly state; no one except those you explicitly state, or on an individual basis.
Locating your presence status
Your presence status is located at the top right hand of the Chorus window:
Setting your presence status
1. Click on the Presence Icon in the Action Bar to set your presence status.
2. This will display the presence status drop-down menu. From here you can select one of the presence statuses and enter some custom presence status text if you wish.
To have Chorus automatically display an ‘Away’ presence when you are not logged into the web browser:
1. Click on your name in the top right hand of the Chorus window and click Settings:
2. Click Presence:
3. Set your settings as appropriate:
4. Click on Save.
Using your presence to determine how which preferred device receives the call
You can choose for your presence to determine which preferred device receives the call. For example, you could set for any calls received when your presence is set to Do not Disturb to go straight to voicemail, by setting voicemail as a preferred device.
1. Click on your name in the top right hand of the Chorus window and click Settings.
2. Click Devices.
3. Scroll down to the bottom of the Devices window.
4. Ensure there is a tick in the I want my presence to determine how I receive calls from other people tick box.
5. Click on Choose a device against the relevant presence, and choose a device from the list.
6. Incoming calls received when you have set that presence will use that preferred device.
Responding to Presence Status Requests
You are able to control who can see your presence status. The initial trigger for this is another user adding you to their contact list. If you have opted to be asked when someone requests to see your presence status, you will be sent a presence status request, and a green number will appear by your profile picture to indicate how many requests are currently awaiting your response.
To respond to the request:
1. Click on your name and click Settings.
2. Click on Presence (note how this also shows how many requests are currently awaiting your response).
3. Click on Pending presence status requests.
4. Hover over the entry in the list and select ‘Accept’ or ‘Block’
Allowing everyone / no one to see your presence status
Instead of reviewing presence status requests on an individual basis, you can choose to allow everyone to see your presence status, or nobody to see your presence status. In each of these cases, you can explicitly state users to be exceptions (e.g. you can choose to allow everyone to see your status but then specify individual users to block).
1. Click Settings and then Presence.
2. Select either Everyone can see my presence status (except explicitly blocked users) or Nobody can see my presence status (except explicitly allowed users).
3. When someone adds you to their contact list, they will either be added to the list of people who can see your presence status or to the list of people blocked from seeing your presence status, depending on the option chosen above.
Reviewing who can see / is blocked from seeing your presence status
In order to see who can see your status request:
1. Click Settings and then Presence
2. Click Users allowed to see your presence status or Users blocked from seeing your presence status.
The number in brackets indicate how many people are in the list.
3. To block anyone in the allowed list from seeing your presence status, hover over their name and click Block
To allow someone in the blocked to see your presence status, hover over their name and click Allow.
This will move the user from one list to the other.