How to exclude files, folders and drives from backup
Exclude data from your backups
The HFS Spectrum Protect package comes with a set of default exclusions coded in the Spectrum Protect configuration file, see files and folders excluded from backup. While these default exclusions should not generally be modified or removed, they can be added to.
Warning: Spectrum Protect exclude rules cannot be used as a temporary means of excluding data from backup. If you add an exclude rule for files or folders, then those files or folders are immediately marked for deletion on the HFS. If you at any time wish to back up those files or folders, you would need to resend all that you have previously excluded. The data cannot be unexcluded or reintegrated into your backup without a fresh resend. Please use this facility only to permanently exclude data from backup.
To provide you with the best advice, please select the type of exclude rule that you need from the following list:
- Exclude one or more specific files, or a range of similar files.
- Exclude one or more folders.
- Exclude one or more drives or partitions.
- Exclude everything except certain files or folders.
- If you are experienced with Spectrum Protect exclude rules and want to see basic examples of the different options available.