1. General Information
IT Services manages the University-wide ethernet, which provides fast links between systems, in addition to maintaining the links to the Internet.
Support is available in the form of hardware and software advice, services, courses, and documentation.
You can use your Oxford Remote Access Account credentials to connection to eduroam at participating organisations (in the 1,000's) in over 70 countires.
The OWL and Public Wi-Fi services are intended primarily for visitors toconnect to the network around the University.
When you are away from the University you can still access your usual resources by using our Remote Access Services:
Essential software to access local resources when away from the University
General information on using commercial broadband services.
Want to call home over the Internet? Read our document to find out how.
It is vital to keep your own information and computer secure, both for your own privacy and for the overall security of the University network.
- Using Peer-to-Peer applications? Find out about the University rules and conditions of use first.
2. Services for Network Administrators
- OUCS Wireless Traffic Policy
- Physical connection to the network
- Backbone Network Connection Charges
- Network Security and OxCERT
- Full list of central network services
- Domain Name Service (DNS)
- Windows Internet Name Service (WINS)
- Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP)
- Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP)
- Network Time Protocol (NTP)
- Oxford University IP address space allocations
- RFC1918 address space usage
- Oxford University IPv6 Deployment
- Address Resolution Protocol (ARP)
- DNS Allocation Auditing Tools
- Services and networks blocked at the firewall
- masks and specifying IP address ranges
- Network number calculator
- 802.1Q Tunnelling
2.2. Webauth enabled interfaces for ITSS
- Visitor Network Account Granting Privilege Administration
- Heads of IT can control who is able to give out Visitor accounts for their unit
- 802.1X Device Registration
- Wireless access points and 802.1X participating devices
- OWL Phase 2 Access Point Registration
- Register an access point to be fully managed by OUCS under OWL Phase 2
- OWL Phase 2 Management Interface for ITSS
- Cisco Wireless Control System interface
- Link Status Report
- Backbone network port information
2.3. Online tools restricted to access from within the University network
- DHCP updates
- Search and register new DHCP instructions
- DHCP deletions
- Search and delete DHCP instructions
- DHCP log searches
- Search through the DHCP lease logs for your unit
- Rogue DHCP servers
- Look for evidence of rogue DHCP servers
- DHCP registration queries
- Search through the dhcp registrations (search option also present on other dhcp pages)
- ARP query
- Find out which computers have been using the IP addresses on your subnetwork.
- IP Allocation Status Tool
- Review the status of your DNS allocation
- IP Allocation Audit Tool
- Review your DNS allocation utilisation
- Current router blocks
- Hosts blocked at the University routers by the security team
- University firewall blocks
- Current University firewall ruleset
- Lost/stolen machines
- Alerts the University when a specific MAC address of a stolen machine is spotted