What is Nexus365 Skype for Business?
Skype for Business is an online communications tool that allows you to work together through instant messaging, audio and video conferencing, online meetings and webinars. It makes sharing with colleagues, students and people external from the university easy, without the need for everyone to be in the same room.
Skype for Business is also integrated with the tools people use every day, like email, calendaring and document collaboration.
Skype for Business is not a replacement for the University’s Chorus telephone service – you should continue to use Chorus to call mobile phones and landlines or to make chargeable calls. To fully utilise the capabilities of Skype for Business you may need a headset and webcam. Please contact your local ITSS for assistance with those.
Why use Nexus365 Skype for Business?
Skype for Business is more than just a different way of making phone calls or holding meetings; it's a one-stop-shop for all your communication needs.
Just a few benefits of using Skype for Business are:
- Immediately see colleagues' availability status
- Instant message with friends and colleagues across the collegiate University
- Share a whiteboard for brainstorming with your colleagues in real-time
- Share an application, desktop, or document on-screen in real-time
- Initiate audio or video chats / conferences with contacts
- Utilize and share all these features with any user worldwide who has a Skype or Skype for Business account
Accessing Nexus365 Skype for Business
Skype for Business can be accessed via your desktop (eg. Connect users will have a download available in their app installer), or via the OWA (web) version. On self-managed computers you can also download it yourself directly from Microsoft.
NOTE: Skype for Business is not found in the waffle (Nexus365 launcher). It can be found by clicking on the Skype icon in the top right-hand corner of the screen on the banner for Outlook on the web.
Getting started with Nexus365 Skype for Business
- Search for a colleague or schedule a Skype meeting from your Outlook calendar
- Download the Skype for Business apps on your phone or tablet
- Switch on Video for more engaging and enjoyable meetings