ODBC DATA SOURCE CONFIGURATION
- Ensure you are using the latest MySQL Connector/ODBC driver. We recommend using at least version 5.3.4.
- CONNECT PC: If you you are using a CONNECT managed Windows desktop, we are aware of an issue with the deployed outdated version. Please install the latest version 5.3.4 using the 'Oxford Applications Installer'. There is a help page explaining the usage of the Oxford Applications Installer. If you need further help installing the latest ODBC client on CONNECT, please contact the CONNECT Service Desk at (2)81000 for support.
- Self managed computer: Please download and install both the 32- and 64-bit versions of the connector from https://dev.mysql.com/downloads/connector/odbc/.
- Open the 'ODBC Data Source Administrator':
- Windows 7: Click the Start button then type 'ODBC'; you will then see the option to start the Administrator.
- Windows 8: Go to the Search (magnifying glass) and type 'ODBC'; you will see the option to start the 32-bit or 64-bit Administrator.
- Go to the 'User DSN' tab and take note of the name of the 'User Data Source' that you wish to connect to
- Click 'Add'
- Select 'MySQL ODBC 5.3 ANSI Driver' and select 'Finish'
- Enter the new Connection Parameters as follows:
- 'Data Source Name': The ‘User Data Source’ name you noted earlier with _534 appended to the end; e.g. ‘example_534’
- 'TCP/IP Server': webapp-db.nsms.ox.ac.uk
- 'User': Your SSO username
- 'Password': Provided by NSMS Help Desk - contact on (2)73 209
- Click the 'Test' button.
- Choose the 'Database' in the drop down list.
- Click 'OK'.
If you use this ODBC connection to connect to a MS Access database, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to have your database re-pointed at the new connection.
Please also see this YouTube Video on configuring an ODBC data source.