Orchard Managed Macs — System Requirements
Macs must meet the following minimum specification to be able to use Orchard.
- Mac computer with a 64-bit Intel processor
- 2GB RAM (minimum of 4GB recommended)
- 256GB storage
Operating System Versions
Orchard is supported on the following macOS versions.
- macOS 10.14 Mojave (recommended)
- macOS 10.13 High Sierra
- macOS 10.12 Sierra
Orchard does not yet support macOS 10.15 Catalina; full support is expected to be added during 2020.
The local network infrastructure requirements for any networks where Orchard Macs are located are as follows.
- Per managed desktop Mac a dedicated 100MBit/sec (or faster) Ethernet port
- Static IP addresses for all managed desktop Macs allocated using DHCP
- Ethernet docking stations for managed laptop Macs are recommended for connection to shared storage and printers
- DNS including PTR records following the IT Services naming scheme for all managed desktop Macs
The following firewall exclusions are required.
- Allow SSH (tcp port 22) to all managed Macs from NSMS IP range (220.127.116.11/26)
- Allow ARD aka net-assistant & vnc-server (tcp ports 3283, 5900) to all managed Macs from NSMS IP range (18.104.22.168)/26
For clients with more than 50 users we also recommend a network volume (shared using AFP or SMB reshared as AFP) with about 300GB free disk space to be used as a local software repository.
The following devices cannot be enrolled in Orchard.
- Systems not owned by the University of Oxford
The following peripherals cannot be supported on Orchard devices.
- Office peripherals (eg fax machines, photocopiers, all-in-one devices, telephones)
- Audio-visual equipment (eg televisions, video systems, DVD recorders)