The local network infrastructure requirements for any networks where Orchard Macs are located are as follows.
- Per managed desktop Mac a dedicated 100MBit/sec (or faster) Ethernet port
- Static IP addresses for all managed desktop Macs allocated using DHCP
- Ethernet docking stations for managed laptop Macs are recommended for connection to shared storage and printers
- DNS including PTR records following the IT Services naming scheme for all managed desktop Macs
The following firewall exclusions are required.
- Allow SSH (tcp port 22) to all managed Macs from NSMS IP range (126.96.36.199/26)
- Allow ARD aka net-assistant & vnc-server (tcp ports 3283, 5900) to all managed Macs from NSMS IP range (188.8.131.52)/26
For clients with more than 50 users we also recommend a network volume (shared using AFP or SMB reshared as AFP) with about 300GB free disk space to be used as a local software repository.