In order to be able to connect to the IT Services VPN service:
- You must first register for a Remote Access account via our Self Registration page.
- Your Mac must be connected to the internet, e.g. over wireless
Setting up the built-in VPN client
On your Mac, choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click the Network icon
Click the + button at bottom left, then:
Set Interface to VPN
Set VPN Type to Cisco IPSec
Set Service Name to something such as IT Services VPN
Next, with the new VPN entry in the list at left still selected:
Set the Server Address to vpn.ox.ac.uk
Set the Account Name to your SSO username e.g. abcd234
Enter your Remote Access account password
Next click the Authentication Settings... button:
- Obtain the Shared Secret / IPSec Secret from our Self Registration page.
- Enter it into the Shared Secret field
- Enter the Group Name as oxford [the word oxford must be all lowercase]
Optional - Enable "Show VPN status in menu bar"
Click Apply, then click Connect.
If you have enabled "Show VPN status in menu bar" you will in future be able to connect and disconnect directly via it.
When connected to VPN, your Mac may not be able to connect to other devices on your wireless network (e.g. home assistants including Alexa and Google Assistant, or wireless printers).