Applies to: Microsoft Word 2013, 2016, 2019
Word freezes on the blue splash screen with a message in the bottom left saying Loading template.dotx.... This happens when you try to open a document from OneDrive folders on your computer.
Follow the steps below to unlink your document from a template that isn't available so that it will open quickly in future:
- Right-click on the blue cloud OneDrive icon in the system tray, choose Settings
- On the Office tab unselect Use Office applications to sync Office files that I open and click OK
- Open your document
- Choose File > Options > Add-ins, in the Manage drop-down select Templates and click Go...
- Delete any text under Document Template and click OK
- Close and save your document
- Turn Use Office applications to sync Office files that I open back on