How to configure ODBC database access for UAS PHP web applications
ODBC connections provide access to the databases underpinning a number of UAS web apps
- Install the latest MySQL Connector/ODBC driver using the Oxford Applications Installer if you are using a managed staff PC, or from the MySQL ODBC connector downloads if you manage your PC yourself. We recommend using at least version 5.3.4
- Select Start , type ODBC and select ODBC Data Sources (64-bit) (in the unusual case that you are running a 32-bit version of Windows then you will need to select the 32-bit version here)
- Go to the User DSN tab and record the Name of the User Data Source that you wish to connect to, then select Add
- Select the MySQL ODBC 5.3 ANSI Driver, then Finish
- When prompted, complete the new connection parameters as follows, then select Test:
Field name Value Data Source Name The User Data Source name you noted earlier with _534 appended to the end; e.g. ‘example_534’ TCP/IP Server webapp-db.nsms.ox.ac.uk User Your Oxford username in the format abcd1234 Password The password you were given for this database
- Choose the Database from the list and select OK
If you have previously used the same ODBC connection to connect to a Microsoft Access database, please contact us to request database re-pointing to the new connection.
Further information is available in a YouTube Video on configuring an ODBC data source.
If you cannot find the solution you need here then we have other ways to get IT support