If you are visiting the University for academic purposes, or if you are attending a conference, then your host or event organiser may be able to provide you with a visitor network username and password. These are used to access the Oxford Wireless LAN.
To connect using visitor network credentials:
- Open WiFi settings on your device and select “OWL” from the list of WiFi networks
- If you are not prompted for login details then visit http://neverssl.com/ in your web browser. You will be redirected to the University’s secure login page
- Login using your visitor network username and password
OWL is an unencrypted service, so private information should only be communicated over a secure connection. You can access a secure connection by using a VPN or by connecting to https:// sites.
Your device will be disconnected from OWL after 15 minutes of inactivity, however it can automatically reconnect for up to 10 hours.
Any issues with OWL should be reported to local IT support staff for the department or college you are visiting.
You must abide by the University’s full IT regulations. In particular:
- You must not share your username or password with any other person
- If you lose your account credentials you must notify your host or group organizer immediately
- You are not permitted to use the University IT or network facilities for any unlawful activity, including the unauthorised (re)distribution of copyrighted material
- The University may bar access at any time to devices that appear to consume an unreasonable amount of network resources