Nexus email and calendaring are moving to the Office 365 cloud service, find out more at http://projects.it.ox.ac.uk/nexus365
Nexus is the central system for email at Oxford. It is available to our users through three basic routes. Directly through the website, via an email client such as Outlook or Thunderbird or via a mobile device. Client configuration and 'how to' information can be accessed via the following links:
- Directly on the web
- Email using a web browser. By using your normal web browser (e.g. Internet Explorer, Edge, Chrome, Firefox etc.) you can access your mailbox to send and receive emails, access your contacts and your calendar.
- Via a email program
- Set up your email program. Using a program installed on your computer you get access to your email. If you use a Microsoft client such as Outlook you can share and delegate access to your calendar, contacts and other features.
- Using your mobile
- Nexus is accessible on the move through your mobile (advice given on a 'best efforts' basis only). Setup instructions: iPhone, Outlook for iOS, Outlook for Android, Android, Windows mobile
You will get most functionality if you use a Microsoft client (such as Outlook 2016) installed on your computer. Other clients may not give you the same level of functionality (integrated calendaring, task lists, etc.) but Nexus supports all common protocols used by email software: whatever your preferred email program you will be able to access your email.
More email information
The email at Oxford pages offer more information about email-related issues such as addresses, accounts, passwords, unwanted mail, etc.
Too much spam?
See the Mail filtering page for advice on how to filter out spam/junk mail.
Use the Nexus account settings page https://register.it.ox.ac.uk/self/nexus to:
- Set spam filter level - choose between Off, Low, Medium or High (please note that you need to activate the spam filtering in Outlook Web Access too). Messages which are tagged as spam are put in the 'Spam' folder, and are automatically deleted after 90 days.
- Set preferred email address (for users with more than one Oxford address)
- Set email forwarding address - get your Oxford email delivered to another account
- Show email usage and quota - see the size of each folder in your Nexus mailbox
Problem sending or receiving mail?