Educational Media Services (EMS), as part of IT Services, is responsible for Oxford podcasting and media publishing. Educational Media Services regularly publishes podcasts to two (2) main channels:
A podcast is a series of audio or video files, placed online with a public URL, which can be downloaded to digital media players. You can also subscribe to podcasts via an RSS publishing feed, which means that all new content is updated to your feed if you subscribe.
At Oxford, podcasting offers a great opportunity to deliver course materials and lectures outside a conventional classroom environment. Students, or interested parties (depending on whether the material is publicly available) can access the material from outside the campus, view it at any time, and by downloading it to a portable media device (such as an iPhone or Android device) they can then view the material anywhere.
- The Humanities Division: includes topics in classics, English language and literature, art history, philosophy, religion, and more.
- Mathematical, Physical and Life Sciences: includes topics in e-research, physics, chemistry, etc.
- The Medical Sciences Division: including experimental psychology, clinical medicine, the surgical sciences, and more.
- The Social Sciences Division: including economics, business, politics, sociology, anthropology, etc.
- The Department for Continuing Education, the various colleges, and various other units.
Keep in touch with our filming and podcasting news through our Twitter feed here: https://twitter.com/oxfordpodcasts
Need Help Podcasting?
The following pages have been devised to help you publish your media files to both Apple Podcasts and to our website, www.podcasts.ox.ac.uk. These pages are outlined below and are also found in the right-hand sidebar:
- Getting Started -- An overview of the podcasting process. The steps you must complete if you are keen on publishing your media files with us for podcasting.
- MediaPub Publishing Portal -- A guide through the workflow involved in publishing your podcast. MediaPub is our publishing portal, and plays a key role in making your files available on Apple Podcasts and www.podcasts.ox.ac.uk.
- MediaPub Writing & Discoverability Tips -- A guide to help you craft your soon-to-be published podcast on MediaPub in order that it might go viral and attract the attention of a global audience.
- Podcasting FAQ -- A page that can hopefully answer most of your questions regarding our podcasting and publishing service, or refer you to another page that will.
- Podcasting Case Studies -- A page with descriptions and links to a few of our unusually active and/or successful podcasting series.
- Recording Recommendations -- A few software and hardware recommendations for those who wish to record their own podcasts, instead of using the audio-video recording services also provided by Educational Media Services.
Don't forget that if you need help produding a professional-looking podcast (filming, recording, editing), Educational Media Services also specialises in professional audio-video production and editing. If you need help with a project, please get in touch.