Our private cloud service offers hosting of individual virtual machines (“hosted VM”) or a virtual resource pool that you can manage yourself (“virtual data centre”).
Key features include:
- Robust, enterprise-grade platform built on VMware vSphere
- Flexible sizing – scale up or down as required
- Dual-site replicated storage (one local site, one remote site)
- Access to local campus VLANs, enabling hosted services to be presented on local networks
- Access to resilient data centre network for critical services
- Fully self-service remote access
Charges apply for this service, our current tariff is published online.
To take up our private cloud services please send in a web IT request indicating which service you are interest in, an outline of your use case, and an approximate capacity if known. We'll arrange a meeting to discuss your requirements and help find the most cost-effective solution for you.
A typical hosted VM is configured with: 1 vCPU @ 1GHz, 2GB RAM, 50GB storage and 1 virtual network interface with IP address. Additional resources can be commissioned on request.
Hosted VMs are supplied with a pre-installed operating system. We can supply:
- Windows Server (license cost included in hosting charge)
- Debian GNU/Linux
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux
- Ubuntu Server LTS
Once handed over, all administration is the responsibility of the customer. This includes configuration and patching of the operating system and all applications.
Backup in not included in the hosted VM service, but may be available on request.
Virtual Data Centres
We can provide VDCs with resources sized to meet your requirements. Three packages that are often used a base for further customisation are:
- Small (10GHz, 20GB RAM, 500GB storage)
- Medium (20GHz, 40GB RAM, 1TB storage)
- Large (30GHz, 60GB RAM, 1.5TB storage)
A pool of 11 public IP addresses is also provided as standard. Additional IP addresses can be provided if required. Private internal networks can be supplied on request. These are often used for management and monitoring, however customers can deploy a bridge VM to provide external connectivity for other use cases.
Backup is not included in the VDC service, but may be available on request.