The Affiliations Manager is intended to enable units of the University to assert an affiliation with a unit. These affiliations supplement those asserted by central data systems such as University card and HR. Affiliations suitable for adding to CUD in this way must be:
- of interest to more than one unit within the University.
- actively managed by the Unit which asserts the affiliation (unmanaged affiliations will expire automatically).
- suitable to be available as part of the CUD attribute set to all authorised users of CUD.
The benefits of using Affiliations Manager include:
- the affiliations asserted can be used as criteria in searches of CUD.
- affiliations are added to person records in CUD, as these records are constantly updated management of the life cycle of an affiliation is made easier.
- affiliations can be shared between multiple units.
Access the Affiliations Manager
To access the Affiliations Manager:
- Navigate to the Core User Directory User Interface (CUD UI)
- Select Affiliations Manager
- Log in with your single-sign-on username and password.
The Affiliations Manager initially displays affiliation lists which you have administration rights (the creator of an affiliation list automatically has administration rights over it), with a button provided to enable a new affiliation list.
When creating a new list, affiliations in CUD take the form <status>@<unit> and both parts of this must be selected from the drop-down lists provided. Additional statuses can be requested, a process for this is being developed at the moment. Units are defined by PRAC, with only those you have administrative rights for being available to choose from.
Once the Affiliations list has been created it appears on the Affiliations Manager front page and can be managed.
A blank affiliations manager contains the following sections:
- Upload a file for matching (using a similar process to that used for Simple Matching).
- Download a file containing exact matches that have been made.
- Upload a file containing exact matches, including a CUD ID for each record. This file can be obtained from Simple Matching, or using the matching functionality provided by Affiliations Manager.
- People who are asserted to have the affiliation and on whose CUD records the affiliation is included.
- A button to use in order search for individual people and add them to the affiliation list.
Matched records requiring checking:
- The results of a matching upload once processed by CUD, these should be checked and manipulated such that each record uploaded is matched to a single record in CUD.
Un-matched records requiring checking:
- Records contained a matching upload which could not be matched against CUD. You are encouraged to check carefully whether these people exist but have not been found for any reason.
- If you are sure that a person does not currently exist in CUD (for example people external to the University), but you wish to assert an affiliation for the person, you may add them to CUD as a special case.
Upload files for matching
Each time a file is uploaded for matching, all records which have previously been uploaded for matching are deleted before the upload is processed. Confirmed members of this affiliation are not affected.
The column headings must be left as they are provided in the sample. Add as much data as you are able.
The matches can be inspected and manipulated as necessary. See the Simple Matching documentation for details on how to do this.
Please note that:
- The fields that can be provided are limited.
- CUD infers an affiliation of the unit for which the affiliation list is being created when matching in the Affiliations Manager, so the results may differ slightly from Simple Matching.
Download exact matches
When downloading a file of exact matches, records with multiple matches will be ignored, resulting in the matched records, complete with the CudID.
Upload confirmed matches
A file of exact matches can be uploaded to confirm membership of the affiliation list. At this point the affiliation is added to person documents in the CUD data store and so can be used in search terms and retrieved by authorised CUD users. The lists of matched records awaiting checking and unmatched records are cleared at this point. New lists may then be uploaded for matching.
If you are absolutely sure that the an unmatched person does not exist in CUD or in any of the primary data sources that supply data to CUD, you may add the person as a special case. The affiliations list, it's owner and administrators will be recorded as the source of data for this person.