What is onboarding?
Onboarding is the process by which a department, college of other equivalent part of the University first sets up their presence in SharePoint Online.
This process must be completed before anyone in your unit can create new sites in SharePoint Online.
Our plan is to improve the governance of SharePoint Online by requiring each unit to go through onboarding before creating new sites, rather than letting people create new standalone sites which could lead to issues with compliance and accountability.
Each unit will only onboard once.
Who should do onboarding?
This should be carried out by whoever will be your Site Network Administrator (SNA) or Business Owner.
What is the process of onboarding?
- Please fill in a form, which will ask you for:
- The name of your unit, as per the University organisation structure
- The email address for at least one Business Owner (you can provide more than one)
- The email address for at least one Site Network Administrator (SNA) (you can provide more than one)
- Please enter these as email addresses not names, as email addresses are unique at the University, but names are not
- Once submitted, your request will be reviewed by the Nexus team
- If approved, you will receive an automated email telling you that your unit has successfully been onboarded to SharePoint Online
- Attached to the email will be a spreadsheet which you can fill with the details of the initial sites and hubs you would like, if you already know this
- If you return this spreadsheet, these initial sites will be created for you by the Nexus team
Any future sites you would like should be requested via the Oxford Service Manager (OSM) system, as per the site provisioning guidance below.
The onboarding and site provisioning processes are both based around the PRAS University organisation structure, which is the only organisational structure we can refer to for the University. The Nexus team cannot change this. If you cannot find your unit in the list, please contact the Nexus team directly.