- About the Archive
- What is the archive process?
- How do I recover content from the archive?
- What happens to embedded and linked content?
- How do I prevent my content from being flagged for archive?
Any Panopto video that has not been viewed in 13 months will automatically be archived, in line with the university's content retention policy.
Once a video has been archived, it will no longer appear in the folder view in Panopto, and it will not be available for immediate viewing; however, all users have the ability to restore the video. You can restore an archived video for viewing either from Panopto’s search results or from the Panopto Viewer itself by using the direct URL to the video.
Content stored in Replay (Panopto) is regularly audited against the University's Content Retention Policy. Any content that has not been viewed within the previous 13 months will be flagged for archival. Once the audit is complete it is reviewed and later actioned, whereupon flagged content is sent to the archive. Recordings will remain in the archive until it has not been viewed for 24 months (approx. 2 years), at which point it may be deleted.
All users can request that content be restored from the archive.
To restore individual content from within the Panopto interface:
- Find the content to be restored; either by navigating to the folder or searching.
- Hover over the content to reveal a 'Restore from Archive' button, and click it.
- A confirmation prompt will appear. Click 'OK'.
- The content will now be recovered from the archive and restored to its previous location(s). The process can take up to 48 hours and a rough estimate of the time remaining, until the content is available, will be displayed.
To bulk restore a large amount of archived content from within the Panopto interface:
- Hover over the first piece of content to be restored, and click the checkbox that appears in the top-left corner of the thumbnail.
- Continue selecting content until you have everything that you want to restore selected.
- Click the 'Restore' button that has appeared near the top of the page.
- Accept the confirmation prompt.
For more information, please see the Panopto support page at the following link: How to Restore Archived Content.
Content that has been embedded into a Canvas or Moodle page will display a notice stating that the content has been archived and will prompt the user to request recovery directly without entering the Panopto interface.
If you have instructional content, e.g. Health & Safety briefings or training, then it can be exempted from the Content Retention Policy and retained indefinitely. This is a manual process and every request will be reviewed to confirm that it complies with the Educational Recording Policy.
You can submit a request at the following link: Replay Retain Content Indefinitely Request
Page last updated: 16/08/2022