£40 per request (+ VAT if you are not paying by departmental order) is the cost for recovering any number of files for one user from a single system. No charge will be made for recovery of files lost through the failure of an IT Services-run system or any error on the part of IT Services.
HOW TO REQUEST A RECOVERY
In order to recover a file, it is necessary to have information about when it was on the computer system, so that the appropriate backups can be identified. Backups are only held for a very limited period so once a file has been deleted it is important to request a recovery as soon as possible. In order to use this service:
- Purchase a "Data Recovery Service" at the IT Services Store paying by your preferred method:
- by credit or debit card
- by departmental order: the expense item code for the file recovery service is Z3140.
If you are not directly connected to the university network you will need to use a VPN connection in order to access the shop web pages. If you have any difficulties making the online shop purchase, please contact IT Services explaining the situation so that we can take appropriate action.
- You will receive a confirmation e-mail from the online shop with an order number.
- Please create a Service Request quoting the order number and stating what service you need files restoring from. Include the Time and Date when lost, Folder(s) and username of the account. The Services are: Nexus SharePoint, GNU/Linux and the Web Server service. If anything is not clear to you, please discuss the form with the Service Desk. You will receive a second e-mail confirming that we have received your request.
- Remember that a charge will be made, even if the files cannot be recovered.
WHAT HAPPENS NEXT?
We shall contact you by email as soon as we can, but, depending on the other commitments on our staff, this may take up to a week. The email will contain instructions on how to access your recovered files. If you do not receive a response after 5 working days, please contact the Service Desk.