The facilities and services offered by IT Services are available, free of charge, to students, members of Congregation, staff (including retired staff) and visitors. A current University Card is required as card data is used to determine a person's entitlement to services.
For the purposes of service entitlement, College includes Permanent Private Hall and Department includes Faculty and Sub-Faculty. Members of Recognised Independent Centres are not entitled to services based on accounts managed by IT Services.
2. University Card Categories
|Card Code||Status||IT Services code||Entitlement Group|
|MC||Congregation (from Register of Congregation)||senmem||full|
|US||University Staff (on payroll)||staff||full|
|FS||Retiree (on University Pension) approved by a dept or college||ret||retired|
|FR||Retiree (on University pension) approved by Pensions||retfr||retired|
|FB||Retiree (on University pension) approved by Pensions (no service entitlements)||n/a||n/a|
|GT/GR||Postgraduate (from SITS)||postgrad||postgrad|
|UG||Undergraduate (from SITS)||undergrad||undergrad|
|VR||Visiting/Recognized Student (from SITS)||student||undergrad|
|PT||Part Time (Continuing Education - unmatriculated)||undergrad||undergrad|
|VD||Departmental Visiting Student (@dept.ox.ac.uk email address)||student||undergrad|
|VV||Departmental Visiting Student (@visiting.ox.ac.uk email address)||student||undergrad|
|VC (1)||College Visiting Student (@college.ox.ac.uk email address)||student||undergrad|
|CL/CB||Cardholder (unit member, not a University member)||cardholder||cardholder|
|VA/VX||Virtual Access (neither unit nor University member)||virtual||virtual|
|Non-card status: leaver||Students in the 11 months after their University Card has expired (neither unit nor University member)||leaver||leaver|
- For University Card Office internal use only.
No access to any IT Service-managed facilities is granted by any other card types, including:
- Bodleian Reader
- Temporary Pass
- UNIQ Summer School
For more information about University Cards, see the University Card site.
For more information about Bodleian Reader Cards, see the Bodleian site.
3. Entitlements based on University Card status
|Primary Oxford SSO account (1)||yes||yes||yes||yes||yes||yes||yes||yes|
|Collaboration Suite (Nexus365)||yes||Limited (6)||yes||yes||no||no||yes||no (7)|
|Linux shell account||yes||yes||yes||yes||no||no||yes||no|
|Web space (users.ox.ac.uk)||yes||yes||yes||yes||no||no||yes||no|
|@unit.ox.ac.uk email address (2)||yes||FS only||yes||yes||yes||no||no||no (7)|
|Delegated access to a Nexus mailbox||yes||yes||yes||yes||no||no||no||no|
|Delegated access to a Sharepoint site||yes||yes||yes||yes||yes||yes||no||no|
|Remote Access account (eduroam, wireless)||yes||yes||yes||yes||no (9)||no||no||no|
|IT Services Courses||yes||yes||yes||yes||no||no||n/a||no|
|Own a mailing list||yes||yes||yes||no||no||no||yes||no|
|Project account (3)||yes||no||yes||no||no||no||no||no|
|@retired.ox.ac.uk email address (4)||n/a||FR only||n/a||n/a||n/a||n/a||n/a||n/a|
|Site-licenced software||licenced for staff||Limited (5)||licenced for students||licenced for students||no||no||no||no|
|Register an external email address||yes||yes||yes||yes||yes||yes (8)||no||yes|
|Chorus account||yes||yes (10)||yes (10)||yes (10)||no||no||no||no|
|Access Oxford-only content on University website||yes||no||yes||yes||no||no||no||no|
- The Primary Oxford SSO username is used to identify you in other systems. It is never issued to anyone else.
- The email address is considered to be 'owned' by the unit. A unit authorizes IT Services to issue an email address when the unit affiliation is added to a user's record. Email addresses may be re-issued, once it is safe to do so.
- Project accounts can be created for a function or role, and the account can be passed to the next incumbent.
- An @retired.ox.ac.uk email address is allocated automatically to anyone with an 'FR' status card.
- FS/FR (retirees) are entitled to acquire the following software licences: Sophos, VPN, EndNote, SPSS and NVivo. Unfortunately we are unable to provide licences for any Microsoft products.
- Email and Calendar access only.
- If leavers have forwarding or vacation set up on their mail account, these will work for three months after Card expiry.
- Registered email addresses for Virtual Access will get transfered automatically to GSS (the Graduate Supervision System).
- Students on a Common Award programme are eligible to have a Remote Access account.
- At the discretion of the user's unit, who has to assign a telephone number.