Welcome to the Lecture Capture (Replay) homepage. Within this site, you will find helpful information about the Lecture Capture service, how the software works, how to install the recorder as well as training material and links to case studies.
The Lecture Capture service offers software tools to automatically capture lecture presentations and deliver them securely to students within the University's virtual learning environments (Canvas and Weblearn). The software is easy to install and use and has recorded thousands of hours of material since January 2014.
To understand how the process works we suggest that you browse the information below and then head over to the Getting Started Guide followed by the Training Material. If you have further questions please visit the Frequently Asked Questions page or the Troubleshooting page. To get in touch with the Lecture Capture service, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
The service offers regular free face to face training sessions and these are listed on the Replay Training page.
What is Lecture Capture ?
The Lecture Capture service is provided by Panopto and can be downloaded to presentation devices to record the screen, slides, video and audio. It is available for download in two packages, a manual recorder and a remote recorder.
The manual recorder software is available for Windows or Mac OS. The remote recorder software is available for Windows only and allows for remote access and scheduling.
Lectures can be automatically recorded on the presentation computer or a personal laptop. Recordings are then automatically uploaded and transferred to a secure Panopto cloud server immediately after the lecture. Recordings can either be released immediately or they can be reviewed and edited to make minor changes before released to students.
VLE integration (Weblearn / Canvas)
WebLearn and Canvas provide a ‘gateway’ into the Replay portal, with the following benefits:
- Single Sign On - no need for separate logins into Replay Lecture Capture.
- Secure access for members of the VLE site only.
- Lecturers can review, approve and release recordings via the VLE tools.
- Students view the recordings via the VLE site.
- Recordings are hosted in the Panopto cloud. No recordings are stored directly within VLE.
- Staff will open their computer and load up their internet browser.
- They will then log into WebLearn or Canvas using their Single Sign On.
- From here they can click on the link to Replay Lecture Capture.
- This is where lectures or presentations can be recorded.
- Once a recording has finished it will upload to a secure cloud system where the videos are stored.
- Students can then follow the same process to log into Replay Lecture Capture and view the recordings that have been made available to them.