Panopto videos can be inserted into Canvas pages that are editable with a text box. The following pages that allow this include: Announcements, Assignments, Discussions, Pages, Syllabus, and Quizzes.
Panopto activation required
You must have activated Panopto on your Canvas course and have an associated Panopto folder.
The following guide will use the Assignments page - all Canvas pages have similar or identical processes.
1. Open the Assignments tab. On the new page, create or edit an existing assignment.
- If you are editing an existing assignment, click the 3 dots that appear when hovering over it. Select Edit. On the new window, select more options.
2. On the new page, a text box editor (TBE) will be available. The TBE has a built in option to embed Panopto content. To access this, click the green Panopto icon (highlighted below):
3. Clicking on the Panopto icon will cause a window to popup. Here you have the choice to Choose content from a linked Panopto folder, Upload content, or Record content.
- Choose defaults to material stored in the Panopto folder associated with the Canvas course. You can choose other folders you have access to using the dropdown window. Guidance is available on how to link Panopto to a Canvas course dashboard.
- Upload allows you to upload video or audio files to Panopto and show them here. Your material will be stored on the Panopto cloud and you can choose the folder location using the dropdown window.
- Record allows you to record a Panopto session directly into the page. You will need Panopto to be installed on your computer and your material will be stored on the Panopto cloud. You can choose the folder location using the dropdown window.
- Choose is the most popular option.
4. Select your content. The following options will appear:
- Aspect Ratio: Choose from 16:9 (default), 4:3, or Custom. The aspect ratio describes the proportional relationship between the video's height and width.
- Width and Height: Adjust the size of the embedded video player in pixels. If you select an aspect ration of 16:9 or 4:3, the height will adjust automatically based on the width. If you select a custom aspect ratio, you may adjust the width and height independently.
- Start At (in seconds): Controls the time in the video where playback will start.
- Interactivity: Choose from All, Search and Rating Only, or None. All will allow a viewer to search within the video, rate the video, access the table of contents, make notes, and add discussion posts. Search and Rating Only will allow a viewer to only search through the video and rate it but not access the other interactive features. None removes all of the interactive features.
- Autoplay: Select this option to have the video begin playing automatically when the webpage loads.
- Enable 'Watch in Panopto': Select this option to display an arrow that allows a viewer to open the video in the full interactive player.
- Show Title: Select this option to display the title of the video at the top of the player.
- Show Logo: Select this option to display your organization's embedded logo in the player.
Select your options (if required), then click Insert.
5. Panopto content has now been embedded into Canvas. Once finished editing this area, click save at the bottom of the page.