Within this section, you will find the solutions to the common error messages that are displayed in the Replay portal when there is a problem. If the solutions do not work for you then please contact email@example.com
For up to date information on the Panopto service, please visit http://trust.panopto.com/
Cannot login to Panopto?
If you have downloaded and opened Panopto for the first time and cannot login, please read the following instructions.
It is not possible to log into Panopto on the software itself. Your SSO will not work here. You must always login to Panopto via the VLE (Canvas / Weblearn depending on your department). Please log into the VLE with your SSO, navigate into the Panopto website, and click Create - Record a New Session. This will open the Panopto software on your device and automatically log you in.
Below is a quick response list displaying error messages that you may encounter before, during or after a recording.
|"No Primary video"||No audio was captured in the recording. No audio device was selected.||Plug in an audio device. Select the audio device in the settings drop down menu in the remote recorder configuration or on the manual recorder window.|
|"Podcast encode attempt limit exceeded."||The recording took too long to upload.||Find a solid internet connection. Then ty re-encoding the video. To do this. 1) Open your settings tab on your recording 2) Click on the manage tab on the left-hand side and then 3) Click 'Re-Process' under the Reprocessing Management section.|
|"Error encoding. Please contact support."||Possible server error.||Try re-encoding the video. To do this. 1) Open your settings tab on your recording 2) Click on the manage tab on the left hand side and then 3) Click 'Re-Process' under the Reprocessing Management section.|
|"Error packaging. Please contact support."||Possible server error.||Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org|
|"Could not process. Task failed."||Faulty video stream error.||Please contact email@example.com|
|On Remote Recorder Page: "Blocked"||Manual recorder window is open.||Shut down manual recorder. If manual recorder does not shut down properly try restarting machine.|
|On Remote Recorder Page: "Disconnected"||Laptop / PC is currently off. Wifi or internet connection currently disabled.||Make sure computer is on and fully connected the internet.|
|On manual recorder: "Invalid username and Password"||Incorrect sign in location.||Make sure that you visit the correct WebLearn site to sign in with your SSO. Only Admin staff can access the recorder directly.|
|On manual recorder: "Starting the device 'Main Screen' Failed. Error Media pipeline failure."||Graphics driver isn't running the most recent and up to date version.||
Update your graphics driver within the computers control panel.
|"Faulted"||Your remote recorder will not record properly and remains in a faulted state||If your operating system is Windows Enterprise N, then it will not install all the relevant media features for Panopto. Please visit: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/mediafeaturepack to download the correct Windows 10 pack. For Windows 7 please download from https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=16546|
'Could Not Process'
Once a recording has finished and has been uploaded, errors can still occur. Errors such as 'Could Not Process. Task Failed' may hinder your recording's playback. If this happens try the following method re-enable the video.
- Duplicate the recording in Replay.
- Wait for the recording to re process.
- Once it has re processed, click on the settings button of the recording and click Manage.
- Scroll to the bottom and select Re-Process or Re Package. Either one of these should re process the recording and correct the error.
- If the problem persists please get in touch with Replay by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
This issue is usually caused by a problem with the streams. You can manage the streams by selecting the streams tab on the settings window of the recording. If there is a stream that looks like it has only recorded a second or two then this maybe interfering with the process of the recording. Try deleting this stream and then re process. Always remember to duplicate the recording first before deleting streams.
MacOS quality issue
There is a known issue with the macOS version of the manual recorder affecting recording quality. The macOS recorder defaults to minimum resolution when starting the programme for the first time. To increase the quality, click the Panopto menu, select Preferences and change the Primary quality to Ultra: motion and the Secondary quality to Ultra: resolution.
The Lecture Capture (Replay) service and software issues
- How do I find out more about the Replay lecture Capture service?
- Contact the Replay lecture capture team by e-mailing email@example.com with your questions about the service. A meeting can be arranged to discuss the service in more detail. You can also browse through these help pages and take a closer look at example recordings made using Replay. A detailed presentation about the capabilities of Replay is available here and you can read the Replay lecture capture blog here.
- Who do I contact if I have problems with the software?
- Contact the Replay lecture capture team by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- What do I do once I have downloaded and installed the remote recorder?
- You must email email@example.com and tell us what the recorder is called and who is using it. You will need to decide who will be a Manager and who will be a Scheduler of the recorder (Please see below on this.) You must provide their name and email to us. You will need to tell everyone to log into Replay at least once so they are assigned a Replay username. Once this is done you will be able to access the schedule and configurations of that camera and begin using it.
- Please explain the difference between the Manager and the Scheduler roles.
- The Manager has control over the recording configuration such as the video, audio and what devices are plugged in. They can also control the scheduling of remote recordings. This is often the role of the local IT Officer. The Scheduler role ony has access to schedule the remote recordings.
- How can I discuss lecture capture with other Oxford University staff?
- If you are interested in Replay, consider joining the Lecture Capture WebLearn site. Please read this Replay blog post on 'how to join'. This will allow you to receive periodic e-mail notifications from the Replay team. They send periodic announcements about Lecture Capture to its members. There is also a regular special interest group (SIG) forum for Oxford staff to meet in person and discuss the Replay service, the details of which are sent to all WebLearn site members.
- How does the search work? Can I search within a talk for a topic?
- All text within slides is indexed and made searchable within Replay. Slide titles appear as headings for the chapter markers that are auto-created on slide transitions. Audio is also analysed (automated speech to text) and is searchable in the same way for individual words. The automated speech to text is not presented as captions or a transcript, but manual captions/transcripts can be created within the software.
- Can there be multiple video camera streams (ie: Multi-cam setup)?
- Yes, there can be multiple video cameras running at one time.
- If WebLearn is down, is there another way of accessing the videos?
- No. Unless you have downloaded a copy of the video to your computer and stored it locally, you cannot access the videos if WebLearn is down.
- How do I add the LTI tool to my WebLearn site?
- 1) Login to your WebLearn site with a maintain role and click 'Site Info'. 2) On the Site Info page, click the ‘Manage Tools’ button. 3) The next page shows a list of tools available in the site. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and locate ‘Plugin Tools’ and click the arrow next to it to see the ‘Replay’ tool. 4) Tick the check box next to Replay and click ‘Continue’ button. 5) Name the tool “Recorded Lectures” as suggested, and follow the on-screen instructions to add the tool to the left hand side of the page. 6) If you want to move the ‘Recorded Lectures’ menu link higher, go to Site Info > Page Order, where you can drag the tool to the desired position, and click ‘Save’.
- Do I need to have lots of extra equipment like a video camera to use Replay lecture capture?
- No. You can use the software as it is to record slides and audio. Indeed you may find that the built-in microphone on a laptop is sufficient to get you started. See the example case study videos on the Case Studies page to see the different configurations.
- Can I schedule my recordings if they happen every Monday at 9am?
- Yes you can use the Schedule Recording tool in Replay to set up the recordings so that the recording doesn't have to be triggered manually by the speaker. This means that you are less likely to accidentally forget to record but might mean you have a minute or two of background noise at the start and end of the recording before the lecture formally starts. See for more information on the How To - Schedule a Recording video called Training Material Page.
- The calendar widget on the Replay portal is in US format. Is there a way of changing this to UK format?
- Yes. This is done through your internet browser, usually located within the tools or settings tab.
- Are the recordings stored locally on the machine that is used for recording?
- Yes. The recordings are stored on the computer that is used for recording. This is to simplify it's upload to the cloud server. You can delete these off your machine once the video has been uploaded. They are located in a Panopto Recordings folder on your computer.
- Can I restrict access from certain students. For instance I only want students with disabilities to access the recordings?
- There is a way to do this. Please refer to the Accessibility page for the precise steps.
- Can I record my computer audio output?
- This feature is available in the Windows manual and remote recorders, from version 5.0 and above only. If the "Capture Computer Audio" checkbox is disabled/greyed out in the recorder, ensure that "stereo mix" is enabled in your Windows sound settings. See Panopto Support for further details on how to do this.
- What do some of the error messages next to the recordings mean?
- The error messages, their causes and solutions can be found on the Troubleshooting page. Please take a look and see if your error message matches one from the table. If you do not see your error message there please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
The creators of the content
- Can external students, from another university access WebLearn on a temporary basis to watch some of the recorded videos from Oxford University?
- Yes, external (non-Oxford) e-mail addresses can be added to a WebLearn site. However this would have implications for the chargeable number of viewing hours. The primary focus of lecture capture is as a revision aid for Oxford students.
- Is there a limit on the duration of recordings?
- There is no specific limit when recording with the Replay software. Usually lectures or talks don’t last beyond 3 hours. If you are intending to go over this limit then please consult with the Replay team by sending an email to email@example.com.
- How do I setup a WebLearn site for my class?
- You will need to contact your Local WebLearn Coordinator and ask them to set up a specific WebLearn site. Once this has been done they can add the LTI plugin tool for their site. To do this please look above for the FAQ question entitled 'How do I add the LTI tool to my WebLearn site'?
- If a video has already been made available to students can I go back to the video and edit it further?
- Yes. The software allows the user to go back into the edit mode and adjust the video on the timeline. It uses non-destructive editing so that adjustments can be made without losing the original recording.
- Can I input multiple devices, such as an iPad, through the lecture capture software and have the screen recorded simultaneously?
- Yes. You can have another device such as an iPad or phone being recorded at the same time as a screen capture. Adapters would be needed to configure the setup correctly.
- Can I toggle the primary and secondary streams around when editing?
- Unfortunately you can not. This is something that needs to be setup correctly at the recording stage. The only way you can do this in the edit is: 1) Copy your session to make a duplicate, so that you have a backup in case things go wrong. 2) Make sure you have not edited the session (i.e. it is the full duration of the recording, with no cuts/topping or tailing). If you have, revert the changes. 3) Set your download settings for the session to be secondary video only, 1080p. 4) When it has finished encoding, download the podcast. This should be just the camera and audio - if not you'll need to delete the other streams using the advanced editor (Edit > More > Advanced Editor > Streams tab > hover over a stream and choose delete > Hit save - this is irreversible so make sure you have the back-up). 5) In the edit interface of the session, click on More > Advanced Editor 6) In the streams tab, click on Add video and add your downloaded podcast as a primary video. 7) Once uploaded, make sure you hit save and let the session reprocess 8) Delete the stream that is audio-only as you have the audio as part of your uploaded podcast stream.
- Will the recordings automatically upload to the cloud once the recording has been stopped?
- Yes. When the recording has been stopped it will automatically start uploading to the cloud server. If the computer is offline then the recording can be uploaded manually. You can shut down the computer or log out once the recording status has switched to 'Processing Media'. This means that the recording is being encoded on the cloud server.
- I want to embed a segment from a video into another website. Can I use the embed code shown on the settings for the video?
- No. Due to the universities limited viewing usage, the video file must be downloaded from Replay, as shown in the video entitled 'How To - Export a Recording', and uploaded to a private folder on YouTube or Vimeo. Once the file has been downloaded it will not affect the viewing usage.
- What is the naming convention for newly installed remote recorders?
- Please name the remote recorder by: Department name - building location - Room. Eg: "Continuing Education - Rewley House - Sadler Room PC"
- Can sub folders be created within Replay Lecture Capture?
- Yes. If you right click on the folder that has already been created within Replay you will see an option for 'Create new subfolder'. There is no limit on the number of subfolders that can be created.
- Can I add subtitles to a video to aid students with hearing impairments?
- Yes. There is a subtitling facility. It is a third party plugin and is a chargeable service. Please contact the Replay team at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information and prices.
- Can we get transcripts of lectures or other recorded seminars in text form?
- Yes. This comes under the same service as the subtitling facility. Please contact the Replay team at email@example.com for more information and prices.
- I'm interested to know how much our videos are watched. Please can you tell me if there are any statistics available and if so, how we can go about obtaining them?
- Statistics are available in Replay. Log into the Replay portal through the WebLearn portal using your SSO. You must be logged in as a Maintainer or Contributor. Once in the portal you need to click on the 'stats' icon in the top right corner of the window. From here you can filter the stats over specific time periods or individual sessions.
- How can you disable the option to download the podcasts?
- If you wish to disable this function, then the instructor of that course can do so by: 1) Opening your web browser. (Firefox and Chrome now have the same functionality as each other and are the recommended browsers to try this on) 2) Click on the folder you wish to disable downloads for. 3) Once this folder is open you will need to click on the 'gear' icon that represents the settings for that page. (Top right of the window underneath the user login details) 4) Once this new window has opened click on the tab marked 'settings' on the left. 5) Un-tick the button, 'Enable authenticated users to download podcasts'. 6) This will automatically save once the window has closed.
- How do I create a User Group?
- Creating a user group can be helpful when adding a large group of people to a particular folder. To create a group you need to 1) Click User Groups from the System tab on the left of the Replay portal. 2) Click New. 3) Name the group. 4) Click 'Create Group'. 5) You then need to add members to the group. Type in the users email addresses and they should automatically appear with their unique username. If they do not appear then that individual will need to log into the Replay Lecture Capture portal for the system to automatically generate them a username. 6) Once you've added all the users to the group you will need to give them access to the right folder. Click on the Access tab and select the folder you wish to add the group to.
- What WebLearn setup is required if I want to use Replay Lecture Capture to record videos or narrated slideshows for my own purposes (i.e. to export and make available via other channels, e.g. Youtube, a website etc.)?
- Contact your department’s local WebLearn coordinator (List of Local WebLearn Coordinators). Ask them to create a ‘Test’ or ‘Play’ site in the department’s WebLearn structure, and a new subsite for you under the ‘Test’ site. They will need to add you as the only site participant (with the maintain role). You can then add the Replay tool on your ‘play’ site, and use it to make recordings. (Note: It is not possible to use your ‘My Home’ personal site in WebLearn for this purpose.)
Viewing the content
- How do the students view the videos?
- Students access the videos through WebLearn. They will need their Single Sign On and will have to log into the designated WebLearn site. Then they will need to click on the 'Recorded Lectures' link from the menu on the left which will take them to the respective folder in the Replay portal that contains all the recordings.
- Where can I read the subtitles on a video?
- Subtitles are displayed on the left-hand side of the window under the tab called 'Captions'. This will display the spoken words from the presenter and will get highlighted when the words are spoken.
- I'm a student and I know my lectures were recorded but I can't find them? Where are they?
- You need to log into WebLearn here: http://weblearn.ox.ac.uk and click the relevant course site and the link is always at the top of the list of resources on the the left hand side called Recorded Lectures. Please watch the How To Log in video shown on the Training Material page to assist with your log in.
- Can the students view the recordings as soon as the recording has finished?
- The content creator has the option to move the recording into a private folder where it can be edited or exported. Otherwise the recording will go into the folder for that department and therefore be seen by the students who have access to it.
- Can I download the slides from the recording on Replay?
- You cannot download the slides as ppt or pptx files from Replay. There are two ways of getting the slides onto your desktop: download the slides from the WebLearn site where the other course resources are kept. The other way is to right-click on each slide as it is shown in the Replay secondary window and save the slide to your computer. You will have to do this with each individual slide.
How to disable camera preview on Panopto
- Panopto remote recorder will ’grab' any camera and refuses to release it to other applications like Skype. Disabling camera preview on Panopto remote recorders makes the video device available for other video conferencing platforms
- Instructions for disabling the preview on a secondary device for the Panopto Remote Recorder
- 1. Note the name of the device you want to disable. For the sake of this example, our device is 'Integrated Camera'.
- 2. Stop the Panopto Remote Recorder Service
- 3. Double check the Services, Processes, and details tabs of the task manager to ensure nothing is running from Panopto / Remote Recorder
- 4. Locate remoterecorder.exe in your C Drive < Program files (x86) < Panopto < Remote Recorder. RemoteRecorder.exe is located near the bottom
- 5. Open the remoterecorder.exe.config file in notepad++ or notepad. Note that you must open this as an admin because you will be editing this
- 6. Scroll towards the bottom and find the line:
<setting name="DisablePreviewNameRegex" serializeAs="String">
- 7. Edit the line directly below this to reflect the device you want to disable preview for.
<value /> becomes the below line
- 8. Reboot the machine
- 9. Wait for the remote recorder to re-connect
- 10. Verify that the device has been disabled for preview.
For more information regarding legal issues or policy documents using Replay Lecture Capture you can take a look at our Frequently Asked Questions page. Alternatively please check out the How To videos stored on our Training Material page.